If you're thinking of how to hide your location with a fake one on iPhone or Android, this complete guide has got you covered.
It is easy to share your location with others, but sometimes, you want to keep it hidden. This might be for privacy, geo-specific content, or games.
Our guide will include how to fake location for GPS and IP. Also, you don't have to jailbreak your phone and lose the warranty with the steps offered below.
What is GPS Location and When to Use It?
When thinking about faking your location, you need to determine whether it is the GPS or the IP location. Let's get started with faking your GPS location.
GPS means a global positioning system that operates through satellites and receiving devices that determine the location of something or someone.
A GPS location will show your local information, including the state and the city you are in since it uses longitude ad latitude coordinates. But, an IP location does not offer local information, only the IP address of your device.
Benefits of Faking GPS Location
There are different reasons why you might need a fake GPS location, and it will make your online use easier and safer.
- Changing your GPS location helps you meet people from different places on social media platforms like Snapchat instead of being limited to your region. The same goes for GPS-based dating apps.
- You can enjoy playing location-based games without moving an inch when you spoof your location. An example is Pokémon GO which requires you to be on the move.
- You can also access geo-restricted websites and content like music, videos, shopping platforms, and movies when you fake your location.
- Faking your location protects your privacy by stopping individuals and apps from tracking you.
- You can keep your location from friends and family on Find My iPhone and other location-sharing apps by spoofing your location.
- If you're moving to a place, you can fake your location ahead of time to meet new people.
The Risk of Faking GPS on Your Phone
While faking your GPS location comes with different benefits; there are still some risks you must consider before doing it.
- Faking your location is not always helpful, and spoofing is not a built-in setting. So you have to use other software or hardware to help you.
- Changing your location will affect all the location-based apps and features on your phone, aside from the platform you want to use it for.
- If you are using it for a video game, the other apps you need to use your actual location will follow suit and use the fake location.
Way 1 No Jailbreak: Spoof iPhone GPS Location With LuckLuckGo
Many tutorials will tell you that you can jailbreak your iPhone to fake the location. But actually, it's not the only way. There are convenient GPS location changers like LuckLuckGo, which help you spoof your iPhone GPS location anywhere.
After changing the location, the GPS location of the device will remain at the destination you set as long as you don’t restart the device. This change is valid for all apps related to GPS services.
In addition, LuckLuckGo can simultaneously spoof the GPS location of up to five phones and simulate your GPS movement at a custom speed. Suppose you are playing some location-based games, such as Pokémon GO. In that case, you can have a better gaming experience.
Steps to use LuckLuckGo
- Download Download LuckLuckGo and launch the app. Click on Start.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer.
- Unlock your phone and trust the computer.
- Select the GPS location mode that you want. The settings are in the top-left corner of the screen.
- Pick the location of your choice and tap Move.
Click Satrt To Use LuckLuckGo
changes location on iPhone with LuckLuckGo
Situations When You Need to Spoof iPhone Location
Different scenarios might cause you to spoof your iPhone location. Having a location changer is handy in cases like that. These include:
- You want to play location-based games like Pokémon GO.
- You need to protect your privacy and stop others from tracking your location.
- You don't want to share your real location on Find My iPhone.
- You want to meet new people on social media like Snapchat and dating sites.
- You want to access content and websites not allowed in your region.
Way 2 Jailbreak iOS Device to Fake Location
To jailbreak means making unauthorized changes in your device's default settings without getting permission from the manufacturer. There is no fake location feature in the phone's settings because the manufacturer doesn't allow people to do so.
However, jailbreaking can remove the manufacturer's restrictions on device management permissions, allowing you to change the location by exploiting vulnerabilities (bugs) in device mechanisms and operating systems at the root level.
You need specific tools to jailbreak your iOS device. Some helpful tools include Checkra1n, UncOver, and The Anywhere.
Follow the steps below to use The Anywhere app:
- Download The Anywhere on your iPhone.
- Launch the app. > Pick the fake location you want to use.
- Tap the location>a red pin will appear.
- Click the blue tab.
- Pick the apps that you want the fake GPS location to apply to.
- Select the app to check if the new location is there.
Pick the fake location
Way 3 Fake Android GPS Location
It is also possible to fake the location on your Android aside from your iPhone device. Different free and paid apps on Google Play help with Android location spoofing.
Some of them also require your device to be rooted. Follow the steps below to use Fake GPS Free on Android:
- Install the Fake GPS Free app.
- Allow the app to access your device's location.
- Go through the tutorial walkthrough and enable mock locations.
- Click Developer Settings>Select Mock Location App>FakeGPS Free.
- Return and select the fake location of your choice or make a route.
- Click on Play at the bottom corner of the map to enable the fake GPS.
Give Fake GPS Free Access to Your Device
Enable Mock Locations
What is IP Location, and When Will You Need to Fake It?
The Internet needs a way to distinguish between different computers, routers, and websites. This is possible through IP addresses.
IP means Internet Protocol and is a unique address used to identify Internet or local network devices. It is a set of rules that govern the format of the data sent over the Internet or local network.
Essentially, IP addresses are identifiers that allow information to be sent between devices on a network: they contain location information and make devices available for communication. You get your local address through IP geolocation.
Uses of Faking IP Location
There are different uses and benefits of faking your IP location. Some of these include:
- Using a fake IP location provides added security to your device, especially when browsing the web and handling private financial information.
- You can enjoy better loading speed with the right VPN for faking your IP location.
- IP location spoofing prevents websites and apps from knowing your location and is helpful when you don't want to be tracked.
- If you want to access geo-restricted media like video games and streaming services, you can use a VPN to change the IP location of your device.
- A VPN is also a good choice to keep your device safe while connecting to public Wi-Fi.
Way 4 Fake IP Location With VPN
VPN stands for virtual private network and is used to change your IP location to a fake one. All IP addresses have a virtual location, and when you connect to a VPN, the website will see the IP address of the VPN rather than your actual location.
There are different VPN services that you can use to get a fake IP location on your device. When choosing a VPN, consider your specific needs.
Steps To get a fake IP location on iPhone:
- Download the VPN app of your choice from the App Store.
- Make an account and sign in. Sometimes, you must pay for a subscription or choose a free VPN.
- Select Allow for the permissions the app asks for.
- Choose the fake location that you want.
- Select Connect.
Choose the VPN You Like
Steps to change the IP location on Android
- Download a VPN app from the Google Play Store.
- Open the app and follow the prompts.
- Connect to a fake location in another country.
Download the Vpn You Want
Should You Choose Paid or Free VPN to Fake Your Location?
When you want to fake your IP location, you might wonder if you should use a free or paid VPN service. Here is the difference between the two:
|Limit the devices that you can use
|Allows for multiple simultaneous connections
|Limits the data you can use per day, week, or month
|Unlimited data usage.
|Limits the number of servers you can access.
|Allows access to most or all servers.
|Will place a limit on how long you can use the VPN.
|Unlimited use as long as you pay.
Way 5 Fake IP Location With Web Proxy
You can also use a fake IP location by setting up a web proxy. A web proxy works like a VPN, as you connect your device to the proxy server, and the traffic will go through it. So, the IP address of the proxy server will hide your address.
Steps For Firefox:
- Open the Firefox browser and click Preferences.
- Open the Network Settings in the General section.
- Select Settings.
- Click on Manual Proxy Configuration.
- Input the port and proxy's address.
Steps For Microsoft Edge:
- Open the Settings from the top-left corner.
- Look for Proxy>Proxy Settings.
- Toggle the Use a proxy server to turn on.
- Input the proxy address and port.
- Tap Save.
Open Settings On The Microsoft Edge
Steps for Other browsers like Chrome, Vivaldi, and Opera:
- Open Settings>Network.
- Click on Change proxy settings.
- It will open the Connections tab. Then, tap LAN Settings.
- Turn Use a Proxy Server for your LAN on.
- Input the proxy address and port.
Open Settings and Click Network
Way 6 Change IP Location With Public Wi-Fi
Another easy way to change the IP location of your device is with public Wi-Fi.
Rather than taking your traffic through someone else's network, you can hop onto public Wi-Fi and connect directly to their network. This is a helpful way to hide your home IP location. For instance, using Wi-Fi in a public library will mask your IP location.
Tip: Difference Between Faking GPS & IP Location
You can fully understand how to mask your location by knowing the difference between a GPS and an IP location.
|Gives you a precise location
with the longitude and latitude.
|Gives you the location of an internet or local network device.
|The location is faked with a location changer.
|The location is faked with a VPN.
|A fake GPS stops social media apps and
location-based games from seeing your current location.
|A fake IP location gives access to geo-restricted media and protects online safety.
|For GPS-based location services like Maps,
Pokémon GO, and others.
|For services that identify locations based on Internet protocols, like Netflix.
When you change your GPS location, you are faking your geographic location, i.e. your latitude, longitude coordinates, and even time information.
Faking your IP location means that you are changing your Internet Protocol address. This can trick the Internet into thinking you are surfing in another location.
Geolocation is also possible via IP, which allows ISPs to obtain local data about their users. While both can reveal the location of a person (or a device), geolocation reveals more detailed information than IP location.
Changing the GPS location does not change the IP location and vice visa.
For example, if you change your GPS location from the US to Europe but still use your home router or data network, your IP address stays the same. Similarly, when you use a VPN to change your location to another city, your GPS still shows your actual location.
Now that you know how to get a fake location for your device, whether the GPS or IP, you can easily protect your privacy and access all kinds of content.
If you want to mask your GPS location easily, you can rely on LuckLuckGo. Get started with the method you like for faking your location!